11 May 2009

This Boot Sorta Made for Walking

A few days ago, I finally went to the hospital to have the good doc fix my foot. I have "teachers" arthritis from standing on concrete for 12 years. In the end, my orthotics made little difference other than to forestall the inevitable. The treatment was to take apart the toe bones, clean out masses of calcified overgrowth, recarve the bones back to their original shape, and poke holes in their ends to stimulate growth of cartillage lost while things were calcifying. Once this foot is good to go, the other foot gets it.

Meanwhile, this gives me some practice at what I'm not very good at: letting things...just...be. My motherinlaw continually counsels me to "waste a day, save a life." It has taken me a few years to completely hear what she's saying...another few years to decipher the meaning of the words...and another few years to "get" what is being said...and even more years to try to put this into practice. So, the good thing about this bum foot? I get lots of time to practice wasting a day. And, you know, it ain't as bad as I feared...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home